Please note: Applications for this role will be reviewed W/C 5th September and any suitable candidates will be contacted after this.
Little Moons are frozen and chilled mochi, a fusion of Eastern and Western cuisine – soft and chewy rice flour dough wrapped around balls of ice cream, cheesecake, or chocolate ganache to create a distinctive, bite-sized, and delicious dessert that’s bursting with flavour. Their rollout across Europe has been pioneered by sister and brother duo Vivien and Howard Wong, who founded Little Moons in 2010.
The product’s roots are in high-end restaurants, but over the last five years retail packs have swept the ice cream category in grocery and food service.
The business has rapidly established mochi across Europe and will exceed £50m in revenue in FY21/22. Based on experience in the USA, mochi ice cream is likely to make up 2-3% of the total ice cream category within 1-2 years. We are very proud of the culture that we have built at Little Moons. Not to stroke our own egos, but we are a great bunch of people—smart, passionate, interesting, and funny—who work really hard to support and live our values, all the while keeping our mission in our forethoughts.
The Technical Assistant Role
The role of the Technical Assistant is at the core of the team. You will be responsible for supporting the Technical Team in all matters of product quality and safety in line with legal requirements.
You will be involved in a variety of quality assurance processes including specification management, and auditing of food safety systems and procedures.
You will help ensure all our mochi products meet the criteria for safe and legal food supply.
You’ll be gaining experience in the production area learning about the manufacturing process and ensuring all technical requirements and company’s standards are met and are in compliance with UK/EU statutory requirements.
- Completion of customer documentation (specifications, questionnaires, packaging information) as required
- Working closely with the commercial team and the label designer to ensure the information required for product launch is available and on time as and when required
- Review artwork, packaging and labels as and when needed
- Check and approve internal product specifications. Working closely with the planning team to ensure the internal specifications are correctly transferred onto the company system
- Identify and report any issues relating to existing or new products
- Assist the Technical department in general day-to-day tasks;
- Assisting in the recording, investigating and responses to customer complaints (subsequent upkeep of a Customer complaints database)
- Collation, review and storage of Factory Process Documentation as required.
- Upkeep of Approved Supplier Database, ensuring all approval documentation is kept up to date and available for inspection.
- Reporting of non-conformances to suppliers
- Assist in carrying out traceability exercises
- Assist in any customer or 3rd Party Accreditation Audits (e.g. BRC)
- Generate weekly and monthly reports at Technical Managers request
- Trend analysis of KPIs
- Updating QMS documentation
- To support the team to ensure supplier databases are maintained and updated as required
- To support trials and the development of samples and scale up into full production.
- Managing raw material / process non-conformances and ensuring timely close out by all departments
- Conduct shelf-life trials and record results accurately
- To ensure equipment is calibrated and checked as per schedule
- Deliver continuous improvement of both product quality and food safety standards
- Degree level educated, in food sciences/life sciences or equivalent
- 2 years experience of working in food manufacturing
- Knowledge of current Food Safety, Food Labelling and other relevant legislation
- Excellent IT Skills - excel, word and SharePoint
- Experience of Food Safety and Risk Assessments, BRC codes of practice specification writing and labelling software is desirable
- Be willing to learn and be enthusiastic about the job
- Fit in to a small, friendly team and a working environment that is relaxed, but totally focussed on achieving its goals
- You’ll be a quick learner with commercial awareness
- Be well organised and pay attention to detail
- Have the ability to prioritise work commitments that assist towards achieving end result
- Always be curious and looking for ways to improve or enhance products to drive customer satisfaction
Some of the benefits of working here include:
Little Moons is a fast-growing and dynamic business, the nature of which means roles and responsibilities can change and grow quickly and at scale. We never stand still for long, and for the right person this represents an opportunity to grow and evolve your role and responsibilities with us and to develop your career at pace.
We will provide you with as much support, guidance, and training as you need, and offer the below benefits to boot:
• Fantastic family friendly policies
• We understand that mental health matters. We partner with GroceryAid to provide remote emotional support to team members
• Up to 4 weeks of paid sick leave
• Private health scheme after 3 months of employment
• Respect, trust, and honesty. Personal and professional maturity is important to us, and we keep each other honest
• Food and drink – we stock all the coffee and tea you can drink and encourage you to grab a piece of fruit while making your hot drink
• Your holidays – We believe in finding your work-life alignment and encourage all staff to use their 25 days, plus public holidays.
To be engaged, you must feel included and valued, so we have built, and nurtured, a culture where inclusiveness is not a buzzword, but a way of being.
Our approach to diversity is simple —it’s about embracing everyone, and everyone is welcome at Little Moons. We are committed to welcoming everyone, regardless of gender identity, orientation or expression. We are diverse in age, race, physical or mental ability, ethnicity, and perspective. Our diversity fuels our innovation, bring diversity of thought, and connects us closer to our customers and the communities we serve.
All applicants must have the right to work in the United Kingdom.
To make your application, please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to hearing from you!